You can sow beetroot directly into the soil. It helps to put the seeds a few days in water to make them germinate faster. You can also sow beets in pots and then plant them out, but because beets have taproots you cannot keep them long in pots. Thin the beets at 15 cm in the row.
Desired pH = 6-6.5 (a bit acid).
Beetroots need to grow in the full sun and don't tolerate shade.
They don't appreciate a lot of nitrogen fertilizer, so don't give them too much compost. However, they do like some potassium added.
Lettuce is a good companion plant for beetroot.
For winter storage harvest beetroot before it begins to freeze. Twist off the foliage with your hands, don't cut it with a knife. When you cut beetroot stems with a knife, the juices in the turnip will bleed out, and not when you twist them off with your hands.
Chunks of information
- ... scientists found that cyclists who drank a half-litre of beetroot juice several hours before setting off were able to ride up to 20 per cent longer than those who drank a placebo blackcurrant juice...
- soil pH 6-6.5 (a bit acid)
- The plant needs sun for the growth of the root, doesn't grow well in the shade
- Be careful to not damage the tab root as beetroot is very sensitive for this
- This plant is a cultivar from the wild sea beet, and can grow in soils that are a bit salty
- Soaking the seeds in water during one day before sowing can enhance germination
- Doesn't need much N (nitrogen), but likes a gift of K (potassium).
My beetroots are doing well this year. Today i harvested 10 beetroots weighing ca 1/2 kg each, and after steaming they gave ca 2 1/2 l juice. We'll add honey to the juice and pasteurize them in bottles.
Beetroot is a rich source of antioxidants and nutrients, including magnesium, potassium and vitamin C. It also contains betaine which is important for cardiovascular health.
Beetroot juice has been shown to lower blood pressure. The effect shows up within one hour after drinking half a liter of juice and remains measurable up to 24 hours.
Beetroot juice also has positive effects on performances. Scientists found that cyclists who drank half a liter of beetroot juice several hours before cycling were able to ride up to 20 % longer.
These beetroot plants were sown ca. August and shown here in February. They were covered with straw before it began to freeze. I don't yet know if they will survive, but it looks like they will do.
- Beetroot Wikipedia
- Beetroot Wikipedia
- Beetroots A Modern Herbal by Mrs M. Grieve
- Borscht "Borscht is a soup of Ukrainian origin that is popular in many Eastern and Central European countries. In most of these countries, it is made with beetroot as the main ingredient..." - Wikipedia
- Sea beet Wikipedia