- Culture is a word for people's 'way of life', meaning the way groups do things. Different groups of people may have different cultures. A culture is passed on to the next generation by learning. Culture is seen in people's writing, religion, music, clothes, cooking, and in what they do.
- The concept of culture is complicated and the word has several meanings.
- One definition says that culture is the complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom and any other capabilities and habits acquired by man as a member of society.
- Another definition states that culture is the way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time.
- In anthropology, culture encompasses the range of phenomena that are transmitted through social learning in human societies. The word is used in a general sense as the evolved ability to categorize and represent experiences with symbols and to act imaginatively and creatively. This capacity is often thought to be unique to humans.
- In the humanities, culture is also seen as an attribute of the individual. The individual's culture is the degree to which someone has cultivated a particular level of sophistication, in the arts, sciences, education, or manners.
- The level of cultural sophistication has also sometimes been seen to distinguish civilizations from less complex societies.
- In common language, culture is often used to refer specifically to the symbolic markers used by ethnic groups to distinguish themselves from each other such as body modification, clothing or jewelry.
- Mass culture refers to the mass-produced and mass mediated forms of consumer culture that emerged in the 20th century.
- The arts are a large part of culture, and the word means much more than "art". The arts include visual arts (painting, drawing, sculpture, etc.), literary arts (poetry, drama, story, etc.) and performing arts (theatre, music, dance, drama, etc.).
- The arts represent an outlet of expression, that is usually influenced by culture and which in turn helps to change culture. As such, the arts are a physical manifestation of the internal creative impulse.
- "The arts" are usually contrasted with "The sciences".
Pages under the topic Main Page
||Spiritual and Religious Principles - main topics|
- Anthropology is the discipline that investigates cultures.
- Humanities are academic disciplines that study human culture.